Oliver Tractors

The Oliver Farm Equipment Corporation was formed when 4 companies merged in 1929. These were the Oliver Chilled Plough Company, Hart Parr Company, Nichols and Shepard Company and the American Seeding Machine Company.
oliver tractor advertA Scottish immigrant to the USA, James Oliver developed the chilled steel plough in 1855. The Hart Parr company was founded in 1897and they built their first tractor in 1901. Nichols and Shepard built a successful threshing machine and the beginnings of this firm date back to 1848. The American seeding machine company was formed in 1903 with the amalgamation of several companies including the Superior Drill company.
Hart Parr were successful tractors for their time and featured horizontal 2 and sometimes 4 cylinder engines. From 1930 Oliver built the tractors with vertical cylinders.
Oliver built a large range of tractors and in 1944 it purchased the Cleveland Tractor co thereby adding the Cletrac range of crawlers to its line up of models. Oliver continued to produce a full line of wheel and crawler tractors and farm machinery.
The White motor corporation purchased Oliver corporation in 1962 followed by Cockshutt Farm Equipment company of Canada. Minneapolis Moline joined White in 1963. Working on brand loyalty White continued to produce Oliver and Minneapolis Moline tractors.
The first Minneapolis Moline articulated tractors were re-badged and painted in Oliver livery to cater for the Oliver enthusiasts. These tractors were also sold as White Plainsman tractors. Oliver 2 wheel drive tractors from this era were identical mechanically to the Minneapolis Moline models.
The White Field Boss tractors used Oliver transmissions coupled to Minneapolis Moline engines.
It is unclear exactly when White changed their company policy and discontinued the Oliver and Minneapolis Moline names, but it happened in the early 1970’s

Malcolm Johncock

Comments are closed.